Friday 26 August 2011

Smackdown Thoughts, August 26th


Good opening segment featuring special guest GM Bret Hart, Christian, Mark Henry and Sheamus.  I’m always glad to see The Himan and happy to see Christian back.  Although I have to admit that Bret seemed a little rusty on the mic.   I’m already looking forward to next week’s steel cage match vs Randy Orton.  I am thinking Edge should be in attendance and playing a role in this one.  Edge and Christian have been dissing each other as of late, but I am still predicting a reunion of sorts with Edge in a limited role.  Manager? 

I still think Randy Orton walks away with the title next week and faces Mark Henry at Night of Champions.  Although Henry did say he wants his title shot next week, which I assume means after next week’s Smackdown, I am seeing this one as a PPV title shot. 
I am starting to forget when the last time I saw Daniel Bryan win a match.  What are they eventually going to do with the Money in the Bank winner who claims he is waiting until Wrestlemania to cash in?  They will probably sit on this one for a while until at least after the next PPV or even longer.
So Wade Barrett wants something more meaningful.  Any ideas what might be next for him?  Going after Daniel Bryan’s brief case? Intercontinental championship? Is he ready to be in the World Heavyweight Championship mix?
Sin Cara and Heath Slater give us a brief match.  I always loved the high flyers but I was a little underwhelmed by this one tonight for some reason.    
I love Cody Rhodes's creepy and psychotically toned voice....just saying.  Rhodes wants to resurrect the status of the Intercontinental Championship but didn’t last week he say he wasn’t satisfied with it? 
Good match from Randy Orton and Ted Tibiase. So does the Rhodes attack on Dibiase at the end of his match with Orton mean the partnership is over?  If not you can bet than sooner or later Dibiase will say enough is enough.   How about a Night of Champions match between the two with the Intercontinental Championship on the line?  Maybe give Dibiase a shot with it?  It seems we are eventually heading towards an Orton vs. Rhodes showdown.  Perhaps this could really heat up after the next PPV.
The ending to the Ezekiel Jackson and the Great Khali match surprised me.  Both these guys have been floundering and need something.  I was betting on The Great Khali instead it is Jackson with the win and by submission!  Although it looks like a split is in the works for Khali and manager Jinder Mahal and a match at some point.  This potential feud is already not intriguing me too much. 
Oh there was a Divas match here somewhere.  I went from being a little bit interested in the Divas division to not caring again. 
As the show is in the final stretch leading into the main event I realize we haven’t seen Bret Hart since the opening segment.  I didn’t think he would play a huge role but I thought slightly bigger than this. 
Speaking of the main event, the ending surprised me a little bit here too. Sheamus picks up the win by count out to even the score.  I guess Mark Henry wins the battle that takes place after the match.  I am now left wondering if we are heading to something bigger for a title match here.  We have Chody Rhodes eyeing Randy Orton.  We have Mark Henry owed a title shot.  I think Sheamus’s win has to count for something.  How will it all play out and will the world’s strongest man walk away as World Heavyweight Champion?  I’d like to see that title reign but I am thinking it is staying around Orton’s waste for a while. 
Overall it was a decent episode.  I would have liked to have seen a little more of Bret Hart.  More Canadian content next week.  The live Smackdown should be a good one.

Until next time...cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment