Monday 29 August 2011

Wrestling Memories from Toronto



Well Tuesday night Smackdown will be broadcast live, yes live, from Toronto. In hornor of that city from my wrestling memories I present the following. This one also falls under the category of most surprsing moments.

The stage was set for Wrestlemania 6, live from Toronto's Skydome, now renamed The Roger's Centre (doesn't have the same ring). A record setting crowd of approximately 67 000 gathered for a main event that at the time was breaking new ground. World Heavy Weight Champiom Hulk Hogan would face current Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior, both titles were on the line.

To my knowlede we hadn't seen anything like this before. First of all, we had two major faces taking on each other. Secondly, we had someone walking away with both titles at the end of the evening. I had assumed that this was the (then) WWF's way of setting up the immortal Hulk Hogan to complete a task never before accomplished and he would be hulking it up at the end of the night with two titles raised in the air. To be honest, anticipating this outcome bored me and left me a little disappointed in the main event. Even though I was intrigued in the set up of two faces and two titles on the line I had grown tired of the same old Hulk Hogan act long ago.

Well, much to my surprise it was The Ultimate Warrior pinning Hulk at the end of the night and it would be him with both belts. It was an exciting moment. I hate to sound so hard on Hulk again but there are only a few matches he was in that I consider truly memorable and this was one of them. Of course Hulk was gracious in defeat and the next Wrestlemania he was crowned champ again. The Ulitmate Warrio's title reign was memorable but his career kind of floundered ever since he dropped the title later that year to Sargent Slaughter, which would set the stage for Hullk to win it back at the next Wrestlemania.

I am sure tomorrow night's Smackdown won't as memorable but it is gearing up to be very interesting for sure. Back later this week with thoughts on Smackdown and tonight's Raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment