Tuesday 30 August 2011

Super Smackdown Live Thoughts


It’s Super Smackdown live from Wichita and it opens with John Cena calling out Alberta Del Rio, but he’s a no show.  Wade Barrett who refused to wrestle a meaningless opponent last week demands a match with Cena tonight.  Wade Barrett comes out and begins to diss Cena and it almost sounds like the crowd are about to get behind him.  A few moments later Cena makes reference to the fans and he’s getting the bigger (although still mixed) pop.
I liked the fact that the opening segment of this show did not drag on too long before we got a match.  However...wow!  That was quick, I expected more from this one.  Did John Cena even break a sweat?  I thought this might be one to put Wade Barrett over with Cena still winning, similar to what we seen last night on Raw with Randy Orton and Dolf Ziggler.  The Raw match was a fantastic opening match, this one, not so much.
Daniel Bryan and Sin Cara are up next.  Call me old school, but I would like to see the play by play guys actually call the match a little more.  I digress.....this match is decent, better than the opening bout.  What I like about this match is I am actually watching and really wondering who will win.  They seem to be pushing Sin Cara and Daniel Bryan is on a losing streak.  In the end it’s yet another loss for Daniel Bryan.  How many in a row is that now?  The kick in the face after the hand shake at the end of the match surprised me.  So I guess Sin Cara is a heel now?  Is this setting up a rivalry between these two?  Interesting.  I am suspecting a few more matches on TV maybe, but can’t see this turning into much more. 
Tag team champs Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne, or I mean Air Boom (kind of hokey isn’t it?) give a back stage interview.  I like these guys as a team and like watching them in the ring but weren’t their words just a bit too nice? 
You know I was pouring up nice glass of wine (if you’re interested) about one third of the way through the show and I am thinking, this all seems a bit too obvious.  No way Christian wins tonight, Mark Henry and Randy Orton has to be the match at Night of Champions.  And although that is what I want to see too I think it would be nice to see some sort of surprise happen here, although I don’t think it will. 
Back to the show.  Teddy Long’s “girlfriend” was there for a special ring announcer for the Diva’s match (yawn).  They missed their chance on this one a few weeks ago.
I made reference to this in yesterday’s post that as much as I love CM Punk there is just a little over exposure happening for him I think.  Tonight’s contract signing just confirmed that for me.  I was totally bored by this segment.  I understand they want to keep heat on this feud leading up to their match by it’s just endless talking going around in circles week after week.  And these guys are as crafty as anyone at pulling this off, but it’s just getting a bit much for me.  Of course it ends with Kevin Nash coming in and stirring it up, I just wish it happened sooner.  We get Nash assaulting Punk, HHH assaulting Punk then Nash with the shove on HHH.  Hmmm...maybe they’re not done here yet, a triple threat match at Night of Champions?  I don’t know, all along I was thinking it would come out that Nash and HHH are working together, but if they are trying to get me to think otherwise it’s working. 
Well it appeared there might be a split occurring between The Great Khali and Jinder Mahal a week ago but they are together tonight.  Mahal actually comes to the aid of Khali although costing him the match against Sheamus by disqualification.  The pair attempt to beat down the Celtic Warrior after the match but they come out on the losing end of that as well.  Sheamus is continuing to get a good push as a face.  What will be next for him I wonder?  I don’t see much more coming of this thing tonight with The Great Khali.  Something tells me at some point he and Mark Henry are not done with each other. 
No Alberto Del Rio again tonight.  The last time we saw him it looked like he took a nasty bump during his match with John Morrison.  I wonder if he did and if there is a week of rest here.  This is just pure speculation on my part. 
Randy Orton and Christian close the night with a good steel cage match.  These two have given us some great ones through their feud.  Just as I suspected as I was pouring my beverage earlier it ends in predictable fashion.  Enter Mark Henry after the match for the token beat down on Randy Orton.  I would love to see Henry walk away from Night of Champions with the title.  My gut right now is telling me that Orton retains.  I am looking forward to this match more than Cena and Del Rio. 
That concludes two nights of wrestling in a row. If I have time I might be back later this week with some thoughts and predictions on how I see the Night of Champions card shaping up, if not I will be posting more next week.  Enjoy the remaining days of summer everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment