Friday 2 September 2011

Night of Champions Match Predictions


We are just a little under three weeks away from the Night of Champions PPV.  I thought I would close out the week with my predictions on how the card will shape up. 
WWE Undisputed Championship Match, John Cena vs Alberto Del Rio (c)
We already know this one is set, but we also know things can change without a moment’s notice in the WWE.  However, I predict this one will stand.  The only other person right now who would possibly be a part of this match is CM Punk who is busy that night anyway. 
World Heavy Weight Championship Match, Mark Henry vs Randy Orton (c)
At one point I speculated if there could be more participants added to this match but it has to go with just these two battling it out for the title.  The WWE has done a splendid job of building up this monster character in Mark Henry leading up to him finally getting the shot at this PPV.  I think this one may have more appeal right now to the masses than the Cena/Del Rio Match. 
United States Championship Match, Jack Swagger vs Dolf Ziggler (c)
The tension between the two has been building as a result of Vickie Guerrero thinking of adding Swagger to her list of clients in addition to Ziggler.  This can only be leading to a showdown between the two at Night of Champions.  The question remains who will Vickie be managing at the end of the match.  My guess is whoever holds the United States Championship.
Intercontinental Championship Match, Ted Dibiase vs Cody Rhodes (c)
Cody Rhodes has been getting in the face of Randy Orton a bit, although we didn’t see him on Smackdown or Raw this week.  I can only assume that Rhodes' interest in Orton is leading to a match or feud of some sorts between the two.  If they are going to move Rhodes in that direction now might be the time to have him mix it up with Dibiase.  Also, Rhodes beat down Dibiase recently after he lost a match to Orton.   A split between the two appears inevitable.
Divas Championship Match, Beth Phoenix vs Kelly Kelly (c)
I have made reference a few times here on this blog about how I think the Diva’s division lost some serious steam lately with what could have been a golden opportunity with Beth.  I thought she was about to blossom into a Mark Henry type monster but since her loss at SummerSlam she has done nothing.  However, she has been lurking, albeit in far less memorable fashion, so I predict a rematch between the two here.
Tag Team Champtionship Match, Air Boom (c) (ha, still find that name a little funny) Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne vs. The Miz and R-Truth (The Conspiracy Theorists??)
I’m not sure how else The Miz and R-Truth get in here.  They haven’t really moved in this direction yet even though The Miz and R-Truth have become a bit of a faction.  I don’t see anyone else for the champs to battle with right now and it gets Miz and Truth on the card.  I must admit although these teams are being slapped together, it is heating up the tag team division.
HHH vs CM Punk
This one is also set.  Again this could change with Kevin Nash continuing to stir things up.  I speculated earlier about a Triple Threat match with Nash being added to the mix.  However, I will go with the match as it is already set, but you can be sure Nash plays a role here somehow. 
Other notes
On my predicted card above there is no Sheamus and no Christian.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Sheamus got involved in the World Heavy Weight Championship match creating havoc for Mark Henry.   This would continue their feud if Orton retains the title and moves on to another opponent.  I am not sure what is next for Christian.  He is one of my favourites so I hope there is a meaningful storyline/feud in his future.  I would still love (hope) to see Edge to return and manage him.  Could happen. 
In the next couple of weeks we will see how the card shapes up for real.  When the WWE finalizes the bouts I will make my predictions of match outcomes. 
Enjoy your Labour Day weekend everyone!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment