Saturday 10 September 2011

Smackdown Thoughts, September 9th



Mark Henry starts off Smackdown.  It took 15 years but Henry finally got his character right.  I am really enjoying it but I am thinking it is not going to last once Randy Orton wins at Night of Champions, which is my prediction.
Here comes Zack Ryder to tell Henry that he and Orton are in action tonight, but not against each other.  Also they are not to put their hands on each.  Ryder is getting huge cheers from the crowds lately and seems to be getting more and more popular each week.  Ryder is sensing trouble and decides to go on the offense before Henry strikes.  It doesn’t work as he quickly becomes victim of Henry’s World’s Strongest Slam.  Ryder has carved out a loveable loser type character for himself but I wonder where he can go with this in the ring.  Woo Woo Woo!  
Here comes Ezekiel Jackson...ding ding....we got our first match.  Jackson and Henry start their match with a test of strength, classic, love it, but it doesn’t last very long.  In fact neither does the match really. It’s pretty much all Mark Henry as he continues to get over as one of the most dominating forces in the WWE leading into his title shot at the Night of Champions.  It doesn’t fair well for Jackson who has been floundering since he lost the Intercontinental  Championship, since before that really.  He is one of the WWE’s big men, but as of late is not being sold as too much of a force. 
Next up Sin Cara picks up another win over Tyson Kid.  I am watching the match and wondering what is in store for this guy (Cara).  Maybe a long term plan to have him vs Rey Mysterio.  Maybe a Sin Cara vs Sin Cara match to determine who is the “real Sin Cara”.  There have been reports of two different guys playing this character and this one now...wow...speaks English, and he’s more aggressive.  I get my answer now for the immediate future when Daniel Bryan enters the ring and challenges him to a rematch next week.  Sin Cara responds with a kick and a submission move.
Divas are up, Kelly Kelly taking on Natalya.  If Beth Phoenix and Natalya are going to save the Diva’s division I wish they would hurry up and do it.  Kelly Kelly wins...nothing really happens after....next please....
Christian comes out.  Christian is one of my favourites and it’s time for him to get another good feud going.  I think we have it starting with Sheamus, another of my favourites, as he interrupts Christian’s remarks.  I made the comment a couple of weeks ago that these guys could be good for each other right now and it looks like I am getting my wish.  Sheamus and Wade Barret lock up for their match but Christian interferes and an attempted beat down ensues but Sheamus overpowers.  A match between the Celtic Warrior and Christian is a certainty.  I am looking forward to this one!  It should be a very entertaining match, or series of matches if this turns into something long term.
It’s Air Boom!  You know the name is hokey, they even appear a little hokey themselves, but I like them.  They are a good tag team, but will the reign last past the match at Night of Champions against The Miz and R-Truth?  My prediction on that and the rest of the card to follow.   Tonight they face The Great Khali and Jinder Mahal.  These two have been headed for a certain split the last few weeks and it looks like it might be official.  A slap in the face from Khali after they lose the match and he walks away.  Not much of an official split, I would have expected a bit more of a physical assault from the monster Khali.  A feud between these two doesn’t interest me a lot, but who knows, maybe it will lead to better things for Khali who has been very boring lately.
The main event is next.  Wow...no HHH...no CM Punk....I thought with the new supershows we may get them yet again tonight.  Smart move to leave them off tonight.  It’s great stuff, but a bit too much as of late. 
Cody Rhodes and Randy Orton fill the main event slot in a decent match.  I am loving Cody Rhodes and am thinking that down the road there could be big things from him.  After Orton picks up the win Mark Henry comes in the physicality begins.  Henry comes out on top of this one and ends up looking down on Orton, spares him from breaking his legs telling him it’s only the title his interested in.  I would like to see him have a shot with it.    
Overall, I found both Raw and Smackdown to be not too compelling this week.  It’s getting to that point where it’s time for the next PPV now.  One more week to go.  We still have a couple more matches to be added so there maybe a few more developments next week.
Coming up later this week I hope to post some thoughts on the DVD OMG:  The Top 50 Incidents in WWE History, which I watched recently. 
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment