Tuesday 13 September 2011

Raw thoughts, September 12th


Well here we go.  Who steps out of the gate first on Raw this week?  Will it be HHH?  CM Punk?  No...it’s the WWE Champion Alberto Del Rio!!  He’s upset...because we make fun of him!  As Miz would say...”Really”?  Wait...can it be...could it be...yes, Bret Hart!  We are in Canada after all.  So Bret just happens to be in Ottawa and I guess and he is not too fond of Alberto Del Rio so he struts into the ring to say his piece.  This is the WWE universe after all.  I have never been too fond of such angles because they don’t make a lot of sense to me.  What would Bret Hart, a retired superstar, gain in going out and getting into a war of words with the current champion?  It would make sense if there was more of a history between the two.  The Hitman is one of my all time favourites, but the last couple times I have saw him on TV it didn’t really work for me, as much as I hate to say it. 
Wait...here comes John Cena to ... “save” this segment.  I have been complaining about too much HHH and CM Punk lately, and now I got something different to start to the show I am finding myself missing them a bit.  The segment ends and we have ourselves a match later tonight with Cena and Hart taking on Del Rio and his ring announcer Ricardo Rodriguez.
We got a tag team match next with John Morrison and Alex Riley vs Dolf Ziggler and Jack Swagger.  John Morrison is someone who hasn’t really been involved in anything meaningful as of late and I wish he was.  I thought this match had potential, but it doesn’t amount to much.  There is some arguing between Swagger and Ziggler after they lose the match.  I wish they would just hurry up and put these two in the ring against each other.  This has been built up enough now.
The Miz and R-Truth are my new favourite team.  I am hoping they get the straps at Night of Champions.  We need more of these two.  The Miz takes on one half of the tag team champions Kofi Kingston in a decent match.  The Miz picks up the win with no interference and no controversy.  AWWWEEEEESOMMMMEEEE!!!! 
Well the US Championship match is finally announced and I was wrong. Champion Dolf Ziggler will get a chance to tangle with challenger Jack Swagger but added to the mix are Alex Riley and John Morrison in a fatal four way.  Who might win this one?  Will the WWE pull some sort of surprise and strap Morrison or Riley?  My obvious choice goes with Swagger or Ziggler thus continuing the heat here.  This has to potential to be a great match in what is shaping up to be a great card. 
So are we getting Jerry Lawler and new partner each week against David Otunga & Michael McGillicutty?  This week we get Sheamus teaming with Lawler.  Sheamus scores the pin and the former champs go down again.  What is the point of this other than filling time?
Well the Bret Hart returns to “action” as he enters the ring with John Cena to face Ricardo Rodriguez and John Cena.  It was kind of funny watching Cena beating up on Rodriguez, but I don’t like Del Rio playing the “chicken”.  You can be a heel and still be fearless.  In any event the match is pretty much all Cena.  He lays out Rodriguez and tags Bret who comes in long enough to apply a sharpshooter to which Rodriguez instantly taps out.  I don’t know.  As I said earlier, I love Bret, but there wasn’t much here.  Although I do recognize that although it didn’t make for compelling TV, if I were in the audience and got to see the legend come out and apply his signature move one more time I would have been standing on my feet cheering loudly.  He is a legend and there is nothing wrong with getting a glimpse of him once in a while even if it is in such fashion.  Moving on...
It’s Diva’s time.  Kelly Kelly vs. Vickie Guerrero.  The most interesting thing here is the action outside the ring between Swagger and Ziggler, and that doesn’t do much for me now that the match has been set.  Kelly Kelly wins quickly, enter Beth Phoenix but as usual it turns to next to nothing.  NEXT please....
Round two of the champion vs champion Chody Rhodes vs Randy Orton match that we got just last week on Smackdown.  I am thinking that there has to be something in the works here since we just saw this match days ago.  My initial thinking is that Ted Dibiase enters to interfere with Rhodes thus setting up the final piece of the Night of Champions’ puzzle.  Instead we get Rhodes scoring the victory thanks to interference from Mark Henry.  There’s still Smackdown to figure out what the Intercontinental Championship match will be I guess. 
So I guess the main event tonight is a war of words between CM Punk and HHH.  I must sound like I am complaining a lot lately, but man, these bits are annoying me.  I don’t like you, don’t like me, I am going to pin you, no I am going to pin you etc. etc.....these two are sounding like an old whiny married couple!  I guess we are supposed to be somewhat interested in what CM Punk was going to say after they cut him off, but I wasn’t really.  However, I am very interested in this match and the outcome, but it’s time to stop these verbal marathons and get to it!
One more episode of Smackdown and we’ve made it to Night of Champions, should be a great PPV!

No comments:

Post a Comment